Louisville Magazine is a lifestyle and general-interest monthly magazine for residents of metropolitan Louisville. The magazine has won hundreds of awards for writing, photography and design from the Society of Professional Journalists and is widely recognized as the city’s best and most influential non-daily publication.
Regular magazine content includes:
• Stories featuring local people, issues and events.
• Departments and columns on health, sports, travel, style, dining and the arts.
• The Circuit, which highlights upcoming events and includes a Calendar of Events
• Home & Design, a monthly section that features Louisville’s best homes and designers.
The magazine was founded in 1950 by the Louisville Chamber of Commerce and purchased in 1993 by a private owner, Louisville Magazine Inc.
According to an independent study conducted in March-April 2011 by Media Audit, Louisville Magazine is the most widely read non-daily publication in Louisville among residents with annual household incomes of $100,000 or more. Total metro-area readership during that period was 121,000 cumulative (four-month) and 79,000 for the most-recent issue.
Another survey, conducted in 2005 by MediaMark Research Inc., noted the following demographic characteristics of Louisville Magazine subscribers:
• 92% have attended or graduated from college (42% have post-graduate education).
• 92% are home owners.
• 66% are female; 34% are male.
• $147,500 average household income.
• $820,000 average net worth.
• 22% are members of a board of directors or trustees.
Other Louisville Magazine Inc. publications include Louisville Bride (published in January and July), Greater Louisville Health Guide (a health care resource guide, published in March), the Louisville Magazine College Guide (published in May) and EATS (a guide to eating well in Louisville, published in September).
The magazine is distributed by mail to paid subscribers and is sold at area newsstands. For the 12-month period between November 2010 and October 2011, Louisville Magazine’s average monthly press run was 24,329 copies, its average monthly distribution was 23,818 and its average monthly paid circulation was 21,839.